ABC's of new literacy

Thursday, November 09, 2006

M is for "Music"


Promoting Literacy Through Music



Did you know that Language in music and language in print have many similarities, such as the use of abstract symbols? That both oral language and written language can be obtained in the same manner? Emergent readers will attempt to "read" along in a shared reading of a familiar text, just as they will join in a sing along to a familiar song.

Explore the sidebar areas for songs and materials. Some of it is sales, but there are some materials available on the website.

8 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Laura B., at 2:20 PM  

  • Music is a great way to promote learning

    By Blogger Laura B., at 2:20 PM  

  • http://visforvideolbrennan.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Laura B., at 3:54 PM  

  • Laura,

    I was just wondering: Are you going to develop that page as a separate blog?

    http://visforvideolbrennan.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Mr. Burke, at 5:23 AM  

  • This site is very cool. Music really enhances learning. I learned a song in elementary school to remember the continents. I still find myself singing it now to recall them.

    By Blogger Hilary V., at 7:45 AM  

  • Chris,

    No I was just getting so frusterated that I could not respond to teh post until you sent me the invite. THANKS SO much for your help. :)

    By Blogger Laura B., at 8:17 AM  

  • This is such a nice website. I remember in my class I am observing that the Reading teacher came in with songs to help the kids remeber the target for the day. Very Helpful!

    By Blogger Kelley O'Brien, at 8:22 AM  

  • In high school(in the Phil.), one of the requirements in my Spanish class was to memorize and recite a 14-stanza Spanish Poem entitled "MI Ultimo Adios". If not for the MUSIC, I would have not done it easily.

    By Blogger Pahiyas, at 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home